Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Today is a GOOD day!

Let me first start at the beginning. I was a royal emotional mess during my pregnancy.

For almost a year I worked at a really awesome medical laboratory. I was a phlebotomist. That meaning, people, that I drew blood for a living. I made really good money, had really good hours, & really bomb ass health insurance. BUT, they refused to give me 2nd shift so I could go back to school. Well, I'm sorry, but I didn't see a good enough reason to allow someone to stand in my way of education. So I quit. Or, I guess I left.

Well, a few weeks into the 2nd shift job search, I found out I was pregnant. HUGE change of plans! I had to give up on going back to school, find a job, & well... be pregnant for 9 months. At first it was kind of a downer.

Well, my desperate attempt at finding a full time job in less than 24 hours led me to APAC, Inc. If you are not from my area, you wouldn't even begin to understand the rumors & reputation this place has. I can assure you, that most of the rumors & almost all of the known reputation of that place is true. I absolutely hated it. Not at first, but I grew to despise that place.

APAC is a call center. Several companies outsource their telephonized customer service to this company. I worked for Medco, a leading pharmaceutical insurance industry. & let me tell you one thing... talking to old people about why they messed up ordering their medication online & having them accuse you of trying to kill them because they did not receive their medicines on time is not my idea of a good time.

Anyway, dealing with pregnancy depression, anxiety, and a number of whatever other hormones that were taking over my body made working at this dreary place seem like I was stuck in a cubicle from hell. I finally had to leave, because I seriously think that place was making me sick. I was officially done there the 1st of March.

I spent the next few months working with a temp agency called Sedona. They helped me find temporary phone jobs to do until Emmett was born. Sadly, it wasn't consistent, & the pay wasn't that great. Around my 37th week, I was told to take it easy, because my blood pressure had sky rocketed, & they wanted me to be as close to 40 weeks as possible. So I stopped working.

These last few weeks I have been miserable with worry. How am I going to find a job? Will I find a job? What am I going to do if I can't?

I'm very excited to say that today I am officially employed! I couldn't be happier! On Monday, I start working at the East 53rd (Utica Ridge) HyVee. It's an awesome company that will allow me flexible hours & scheduling. I couldn't be happier! I'll mainly be back in the salad bar on 2nd shift, slicing & dicing fruits & veges, getting things ready for the salad bar, taking & making orders for vege trays & fruit pizzas, and cleaning & closing down the department. When I'm not doing that, I'll be doing some good old fashioned grocery bagging. Not a bad deal!

So today I will officially put that worry behind me, finish the rest of my short maternity leave loving on my son, & be excited to start back to work on Monday. God has truly blessed me these past 9 months, I just didn't know how much until now!

3 comments:

  1. Big congrats on the new job! And Emmett is SO super cute, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job! I wish I could find a job! Its been miserable trying to find out. I've applied to so many places and I'm shocked that I haven't gotten anything. I've had one interview and didn't get the job and one job offer for the opposite hours during the day in which I applied for so I couldn't take it. I have a college degree and feel like I'm the only unemployed person in the world! I know I'm not, but it makes me feel like crap. I'm super jealous of you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of friends who have come back with college degrees & it's been hell trying to find a job. Lucky for me... my mom has worked @ HyVee for over 10 years, my dad works there, & my brother & I worked there in high school... so I think I had a bit of a shoe-in. Every other place I applied at didn't work, either. Jobs are hard to come by these days, so I'm extremely grateful for this one!

    ReplyDelete