Saturday, April 17, 2010

Mission: Impossible car seat



I think I may have scared the shit out of some people when I said, Ah, the time is here. In reality, I meant that the time in question was to get our car seat set up in my car before I go into labor. Which I'm extremely happy we did, because holy crap that was a pain in the butt.

Quite awhile back we were given 2 used car seat bases from a friend of Phil's. Apparently, due to lack of concern and funds, it seems highly appropriate. But today, we woke up, and Phil said, "I think it's time to put the car seat in the car." Now don't get me wrong, I'm a huge sucker for signs that he's coming. The dog starts acting weird, Phil starts trying to get little projects finished, even every song/title/thing I hear has either the words labor, baby, or it's time in it. But I'm doubting this.

Anyway, he got the old bases out, and started to do some research. He YouTube'd a few videos on how to install a car seat, etc. Suddenly, he states the bases we were given are absolutely no good and we need to buy a new one. I'm not sure what happened to them while they stayed in the closet that suddenly made them expired.

But, I guess, we were on a mission to find a car seat base. Luckily, Toy's R US opens at 9:00, so we headed over there. We paroozed through Comfort Ride 22's, Snug Fit 33's, Gentle Cruise 34's, etc. (Not really the names, but it all sounded the same to me.) We ended up with a Graco SnugRide 35, bought it, and headed home. Well, to our everlasting luck, the damn car seat wouldn't attach inside. We read the manual, Google'd directions, YouTube'd videos. Nothing. After about 20 minutes of unnecessary bicker and banter, we decided to go back to the store. When we got there, Phil decided he wanted to try it one more time before we went back into the store. At this point, I haven't had breakfast, coffee, and of course barely any sleep. I finally convinced him against his wonderful testosterone driven instincts that we should just take our car seat and their base in and ask for help. I'm crazy, I know.

Turns out we needed a completely different base. It took 3 very kind & understanding Toy's R US employee's to show us what we were doing wrong. We even got $13 back!

All in all, it has already been an eventful morning. The reason I even bothered posting this un-epic charade, is because I know there are going to be future new mommy's & daddy's who are going to go through this exact same thing. I know plenty from Facebook, even. & I just want to show you that you are not going to be alone. I've never had to install a car seat, let alone pick one out. So, take the shame you may feel and push it away. It's easier just to ask for help.

Oh, & don't tell Phil about this post. He was extremely aggravated & annoyed by my excessive picture taking. I couldn't agree with those feelings more. But he knows I'm a blogger, & it's kind of what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment