Friday, August 6, 2010

Houses #2, #3, & #4

Phil, his brothers, & I just recently spent a whole day viewing houses. I had no idea how popular open houses were on Sundays! We saw a few extra that we hadn't even planned on, since we noticed driving by that they were open for viewing. However, I am only going to review the ones we had actually planned on looking at!

House #2 we viewed in is a great neighborhood on a corner lot. It has lots of great landscaping, & is close to Garfield & Vander Veer parks.



Before
At $115,000, this house is at the top of our price range. However, there are a million awesome features that make this house worth the price. From the look of it, everything has been uniquely updated. There is even a large finished basement! From the look of it on the website, I'd say that this house has it all.



Check out this property on QFSBO.com by clicking here.

After

UPS Okay, when I first looked @ the pictures of the basement, I thought huge. After seeing the basement in person, I'm thinking ENORMOUS! I honestly don't think I'd ever leave it! There is a working wet bar, w/ a bar like scene near by. A huge game room, that could fit ping pong table, or pool table, etc. Then around the corner is a theater room w/ a built in entertainment center. & here is the kicker! There is a hidden panel on the center that leads to a small hidden den. You can electronically open is by either pushing down a book entitled Mafia, or by a secret switch inside. It's pretty bad ass.


DOWNS
Okay, as I said that the house seemed pretty spectacular... the downside is that the 3 rooms that were NOT spectacular at all were the 2 bedrooms, & the bathroom. Also, in a house that price, it sucks that there are only 2 beds & 1 bath. The attic could be re-done, however if it were a bedroom, you'd have to walk through a bedroom to get to it. Not good. & the bathroom was far more than disappointing.


MY 2cents
This house was incredible. However, the pluses barely outweigh the minuses. It was all smaller than it had appeared in the pictures. The basement was awesome, but the bedrooms were dinky & the bathroom would need a lot of work. I loved this property, but I dunno long term wise.

----------


House #3
we viewed is also in a very nice neighborhood, which is close to Vander Veer Park. Here is a look at what we thought about the house!



Before
At $104,900, this house has a lot to offer. It has 3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, & a 1 car detached garage. From the pictures on the website, it looks extremely spacious. It also looks as if it's already fenced in, which would be great for Caesar. The kitchen is newly remodeled, & looks beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person. It also says the owner installed an in-ground fire pit, which would be AWESOME for entertaining. Many pluses in this properties!



Check out this property on QFSBO.com by clicking here.

After

UPS This property has A LOT of ups. First off it had 3 spacious bedrooms, 1.5 baths that both looked quite updated. The kitchen was beautiful! A really awesome touch was in the dining room, & you couldn't tell from the pictures! It was wood, but there was a really rustic looking tile in the middle where the table it placed. It was beautiful! The yard was completely fenced in, & it had an AWESOME porch.


DOWNS
A few things we disliked was the fact that the owner admitted the basement would occasionally leak. We didn't see much water damage. He said he had constructed a channel that took the water directly into the drain. Another thing we didn't like is that the house had a side yard, & no back yard. It would be very hard to install a deck.


MY 2cents
The 2nd time Phil & I had stopped by to look at the house (Monday night, yes this blog is taking me forever to complete. LOL) the owner showed us exactly how the channel worked. He set the hose up to leak into the side of the house that occasionally floods, & took us downstairs. To be honest, if he's willing & confident enough to flood his own basement in front of us, then I'll take his word. The channels worked just like he said they would. He also told us that he has done a lot of the remodeling himself over the summer. He was a Palmer student, & he said it was sort of his hobby. It certainly paid off, & I am in love w/ this property.

----------


House #4
we looked at is kind of one of those places that looks better on the internet. Don't get me wrong, it's cute. It has potential. But, yeah. Good neighborhood & curb appeal though!



Before
This house was $94,900, with 2 bedrooms & 1 bathroom. I am surprised at how many 2bed1bath's are on the market. We've seen some good ones, but I really want 3 beds, 2 baths. Anyway... I never really liked this house to begin with, but Phil thought we should look at it anyway.



Check out this property on QFSBO.com by clicking here.

After

UPS This property did has some ups. The dining room was large, & would of easily fit the dining set my parents wanted to give us. Also, it had a great fenced in backyard. Other than that, I was not impressed. Oh, & a lovely porch! Also, upstairs was this really awesome built-in linen storage... thing.


DOWNS
Where do I start? Uhm, the living room was really small. & it had this random ugly carpet. The only piece of this open concept house that had carpet, so it was weird. The bathroom was outdated. The rooms were small. & the kitchen was in pieces all over the place. Not good!


MY 2cents
My first thoughts were WOW. This needs A LOT of work. It was tiny, & look a lot bigger on the outside. The basement wasn't in that great of condition. & the people selling the house were in the living room, so we didn't even get to look around it. It was the most awkward house showing, ever. I didn't like the house, though in a great location. If I had the money, I would of loved to gut it, & redo it. Because it has potential to be a great house.

----------

Overall, it was super fun looking around! However, I loved the 3rd house we saw. It was pretty perfect. But we'll keep you updated about anymore houses we see, or decision we make.

ALSO!!! I got the job I wanted @ AT&T. Meaning, that if we do find the house we love/want, we can make it a reality. All I have to do is pass the background check, & a drug test, & I'm good to go. See, I've never actually failed either of those before, but this company seems pretty particular. So, I'm hoping it all turns out alright. WISH ME LUCK!

1 comment:

  1. Glad your house hunting went pretty well. Funny thing though...House #4 is my aunt's OLD house! Hahaha. She lived there several years ago w/her ex-husband. Back then she was just a friend of my mom's. She's been married to my uncle now for a long time (probably like 10 years or something) and she lives with him way out on a farm.

    I do remember it vaguely though. I remember it being a small house with some charm, but that's about it. Definitely needed updating.

    PS - I think that house #2 and #3 look adorable on the outside. I like outside of #3 better, but the basement of #2 is really nice. Bedrooms and bathrooms are important though! If you love #3 a ton and are just worried about the leaking I would find out as much as you can. Like you said, he basically volunteered to flood his own basement so talk to your parents and find out more about what you can do with that. Maybe you can also talk the previous owner into paying for it to be completely fixed? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete