Thursday, August 19, 2010

Healthy Snacking


Just recently I've realized that I am not a meal type of person. I hate eating 3 square meals a day. I'm a grazer: I need to be constantly eating small snacks throughout the day. After this realization, it's going to be a lot easier to attempt portion control. I've compiled a list of healthy & nutritious snacks I'm going to try, & knock off this habit of eating meals & grazing every day.

  • dried natural fruits - tend to usually come sugar-free. They are pack full of nutrients & don't get rotten!
  • fresh fruit - apples, bananas, grapes, watermelon all usually are very low in calories
  • tuna - canned tuna in water can be spread on whole wheat crackers or eaten alone. Full of omega 3's & protein.
  • popcorn - a fun light snack!
  • fresh veges - baby carrots & celery sticks can be coupled w/ things like hummus & peanut butter!
  • low-fat cottage cheese spread onto whole grain crisp bread
  • bean salad - full of protein
  • string cheese & low fat yogurts - for calcium
  • rice cake snacks - a good alternative to snacking on potato chips
  • cereal - whole grain cereals paired w/ fat free skim milk
  • snacks that you can prepare ahead of time - penne pasta tossed with sliced green pepper, black beans, cherry tomatos & a light italian dressing. A low-sodium turkey or light bologna on whole wheat bread cut into fourths. Prepared tuna or chicken salad. Even a small cup of soup can be considered a quick snack.

All of these awesome alternatives will help w/ my need to constant graze & my need for a variety of foods in one sitting. Grazing has even been known to balance & hold your metabolism, & help lose & maintain your weight.

Have any light snack recipes you'd like to share w/ me? Please leave them in the comments! I love health food & trying new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment